Japanese Name: ギンシャリさん
Literal Translation: Mr. Cooked White Rice1
Released: November 2002
Original Japanese: WWW & WWW
A character appears about the white rice that everyone loves if they are Japanese!! The company collected a survey that it's widely popular for kids to adults. Stuck as the actual size, with his friends, Ginsharisan will be waiting for you to find him! Hurry and go look for Ginsharisan in stores!!
A small form of 9.5mm and packed full of charm, today also Ginsharisan is somewhere. He is … at the bottom of the rice bowl! He becomes stale … on the edge of your t-shirt!! But he is restored when he drinks water~
日本人ならだれでも大好きなお米のキャラクターが新登場！！ 当社独自のアンケートでも子供から大人まで幅広い人気を集めています。 原寸大にこだわったギンシャリさんが仲間と一緒にみんなに見つけてもらうのを待ってるよ！ 早くお店に行ってギンシャリさんを見つけてあげてね！！
9.5mmの小っちゃなからだにみりょくをいっぱいつめこんで今日もどこかでギンシャリさん。 おちゃわんの底に・・・いたっ！Ｔシャツのすそで・・・ひからびてるぞ！！ でもでも水をのんだらもとどおり～
I've always wondered the story about this guy as well. Now we all know!
1. Ginshari (銀シャリ（ぎんシャリ）) means cooked white rice and it is a term used during the food shortages after WWII.
2. Sekihan (赤飯) is a Japanese traditional dish. It is sticky rice steamed with azuki beans, which give a reddish color to the rice, hence its name. Wikipedia: Sekihan
3. Maiko (舞妓) are apprentice geisha in western Japan, especially Kyoto. Their jobs consist of performing songs, dances, and playing the shamisen (three-stringed Japanese instrument) for visitors. Maiko also can mean a "dancing girl." Wikipedia: Maiko
4. Mugitoro (麦とろご飯) is rice cooked with barley (mugi) and topped with grated yamaimo potato. When the potato is grated it creates a thick, creamy, slippery slurry, in Japanese called tororo. Mugitoro rice is a humble one bowl food and was probably originally a peasant food. In spite of the appearance, it tastes pretty good. Particularly when the appetite decreases during hot summer months, the Japanese love to eat mugitoro rice. Japanese Kitchen: Mugitoro Rice
5. 漢 is also "otoko" meaning "man." (This kanji is actually the first character of 漢字 (kanji).) 男 (otoko) means biological male whilst 漢 (otoko) is often used to refer to manly characters. Therefore, otoko in this case is translated as "real man."
6. Congee 粥（かゆ） is a type of rice porridge or gruel popular in many Asian countries. Wikipedia: Congee
May 4, 2012 - Thank you to everyone who has been visiting. I plan to update weekly now so be sure to check back every Monday for a new crazy cute character! Requests are very welcome and so far Mamegoma, Rilakkuma, and Nyan Nyan Nyanko have been requested and are in the process.... please be patient as there is a lot of information about them! Please keep spreading the word about the cuteness of San-X!!!